MON+ in collaboration with the government of Nunavut
The midwife provides care to childbearing women, babies and families in the community and the Region. The incumbent practices in compliance with the currently accepted Health/Midwifery Act and functions in accordance with the philosophy and objectives of the midwifery led maternity care program. The incumbent is a member of the primary care team and contributes to healthy pregnancies, safe births and healthy beginnings for mothers and babies in the region.
- Educating clients and public on options and guiding them through informed choices;
- Advocating and counselling;
- Building relationships through continuity of care using a holistic approach;
- Assessing and monitoring normal (while recognizing abnormal) physiological processes for both mothers and babies;
- Using medication and technology appropriately, prescribing within scope of authority;
- Ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests;
- Admitting patients to hospital, monitoring, assessing and treating as appropriate;
- Facilitating multi-disciplinary team work approach to care;
- Providing primary care for labour and birth process, as well as through the postpartum period;
- Supporting breast feeding and related programs;
- Administering appropriate medications and immunizations as per regulations;
- Making home visits and using professional protocol;
- Managing obstetrical emergencies;
- Initiating, organizing and participating in medevacs as required;
- Conducting outreach and skill building educational opportunities in assigned communities.
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Midwifery Diploma from Nunavut Arctic or Registration with a Canadian College of Midwives or Graduate from a Prior Learning, Education and Assessment Program (PLEA) or equivalent in province/territory with existing midwifery legislation and registerable with a Canadian College of Midwives and registration with Nunavut Midwifery Registration Committee;
- Nunavut registration or ability to obtain registration prior to start date;
- A minimum of 1 full year experience practicing midwifery care;
- Criminal Record and Vulnerable Sector Checks;
- Registration requirements (annual certifications in NRP, CPR, FHS, ESW);
- Nunavut Immunization Certificate;
- A valid driver’s license.
- Paid for every day worked (Various communities);
- Salary condition to be discussed later;
- Daily schedule: 8:30am to 5:00pm with 1 hour for lunch (Or, any similar consideration as determined by the department);
- Travel fees, accommodation and food allowance are provided;
- Free to choose your assignment among several opportunities in various communities;
- Fly-In/Fly-Out contracts according to your availabilities (6 weeks up to 3 months).
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org